Monday, January 18, 2016

#28/52. A Game with Antonyms in the Title - The Good, the Bad, and the Munchkin

When I was planning out the games for my 2016 52 Game Challenge and I got to the criteria that specified "A game with antonyms in the title" I was stumped. I could not think of a single game that would qualify. I looked up "list of antonyms" on Google and found this list on Enchanted Learning. I began plugging pairs into the Board Game Geek database to see what came up. For much of the search it was a big fat ZERO, or there were games that were out of print, or games I didn't own, or games I wasn't interested in. Until I came to Good/Bad. The Good, The Bad, and The Munchkin was second on the list and is a game I own!!! Huzzah!!!

The Good, The Bad, and The Munchkin is a stand-alone Munchkin variant that pokes fun at the Old West genre using the Munchkin Theme and rules. For an explanation of how to play Munchkin, please see my earlier post about Star Munchkin.

In this variant there are no races (like Elves, Dwarves, and Halflings). There are only Humans so you only get to choose your class (job). In this game the classes include:

  • Indian
  • Dude
  • Outlaw
  • Cowboy
  • Cavalry
You are dealing with monsters like the Train Robber (who is a train engine monster), Cactus Jack (who is a cactus monster), and the Paul Bunion (who is a foot-shaped monster), among others. There are traps to deal with which will make you lose gear or base levels, and of course, your "comrades" who are trying to sabotage your progress to Base Level 10 and winning the game. Again, this is a very tongue-in-cheek game and is designed to give the players a laugh while playing.

Mark and I played two games and we each won one game. One of the neat things you can do with this game and Star Munchkin is combine them (you need all of the expansions for Star Munchkin) to play Firefly Munchkin - a space western. Mark and I are planning to do this sometime in the near future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! I will review them as soon as I can and make them live. I'm just trying to keep out the spammers. I'm sure you understand. :-)