Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Featured FLGS - The Game Getaway in Folsom, CA


On Sunday, January 31st my husband, Mark, and I took a drive out to historic Folsom, CA specifically to check out The Game Getaway. This is a friendly local game store (FLGS) that we had heard about but never visited before. I have to say that this store is unlike any FLGS I have ever visited before!
The store is nestled inside a building that is full of other small shops and looks positively miniscule from the outside. This is something that the owner has obviously realized because he has painted a TARDIS from Doctor Who over the front door and the words “It’s bigger on the inside” over the door. It actually IS bigger on the inside than it looks from the outside, but not by much and boy is this store PACKED!
I have to say that this store is pretty much STRICTLY a board and card game store. No miniatures. No Magic the Gathering or other CCGs. No comic books or toys. I saw a shelf of puzzles. However, this store was packed from floor to ceiling with board games. I have to say, of all of the FLGs that I have visited (which is not many…yet) this one has the widest selection of them all.
I saw games at this store that I had only heard about on The Dice Tower or TableTop like Sheriff of Nottingham, No Thanks!, Codenames (which I bought), and many, many more. I saw games that I had never heard of and I saw a copy of a game that I had play tested across the street from this store about a year ago called Hangtown that is about nearby Placerville, CA and developed by a local game designer, Jonathan Cantin.
My only complaint about this store was that Mark and I were not greeted when we came it. The store clerk was hidden behind a stack of games and didn’t pop up his head until he heard us talk about Colt Express. At that point he informed us that it had won the Spiel des Jarhes – which I knew. A bit later he did ask me if there was anything I was looking for and pointed out Codenames (way up high) that I had missed earlier. At that point I bought that game. I had just been hoping that he would have been a bit more friendly and talkative since we were the only people in the store at the time.
I will definitely be returning to The Game Getaway for future game purchases. I have my regular game stores here in Sacramento, but if I cannot find what I’m looking for here, a trip out to beautiful historic Folsom is worth supporting another FLGS before I turn to finding what I’m looking for online.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! I will review them as soon as I can and make them live. I'm just trying to keep out the spammers. I'm sure you understand. :-)